Friday, February 18, 2011

Using an Inhaled Antipsychotic for Agitation

Here is a link to an interesting trial of inhaled loxapine to treat agitation. It looks like it was effective vs. placebo. The comments suggest the chosen analysis was perhaps easier to find a significant effect with.

The idea of this is intriguing.... I would love to hear from any of you that have used/administered this inhaled agent... I certainly have seen loxapine used - just not inhaled... actually it probably would never have been my first choice agent to treat agitation also.

So can anyone out there describe how exactly this agent is used? At what point it kicks in? Is it an inhaler like those used for asthma (i.e. I am sure we can't 'spray' the drug at people... or we'd all be dosed! that might be amusing!)

Is the administration of an inhaled version easier in agitated folks than the shot (I know personally I would prefer most anything to a shot... particularly if onset of action for the drug is equal to or faster than onset IM....)

Here is a link to the summary page I found... I'll have to track down the actual study later...!

http://plus.mcmaster.ca/EvidenceUpdates/NewArticles.aspx?Page=1&ArticleID=38260#Data

No comments:

Post a Comment