Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A step in the right direction for those with disabling mental health problems?

I think I am pleased to see the state of New York taking a stand to protect the rights of those needing continued treatment and assistance living in the community. There is a link below to the article reported in the news today. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/nyregion/09mental.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

The reason I am unsure, is that I think this is one small example of the problems created for those with severe and disabling mental health conditions with deinstitutionalization. It will be interesting to see what the next steps are resulting from this ruling. My hope would be that individuals will get care more tailored to their needs.

Another concern is that there are many individuals in far worse condition who are not even in a housing program and receiving services. So on the priority list, I think I would focus on those who are homeless or end up incarcerated because they have a mental health problem. Hopefully this ruling will not result in addition to the ranks of the homeless or incarcerated.

We have a big problem in this country with redefining mental health treatment systems of care. There are problems everywhere with this. The adult homes in NYC are just one example of how a ‘good thing’ (deinstitutionalization and even community based adult homes) can go bad…

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see this information.its very interesting.I would like to hear more information from your side.

    Hearing aid accessories

    ReplyDelete