Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Michael Douglas: Raising awareness about HPV and Oropharyngeal Cancer



Michael Douglas recently raised our awareness about the risk of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infection leading to oropharyngeal cancer.  HPV is a common Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) – here is a link to some information about HPV: http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/whatishpv.html.  HPV can lead to both minor and major health problems, including warts on the hands or feet, genital warts, and cancers.  There are more than 160 types of HPV – over 40 of which are transferred by mucosal or genital transmission, of these 40, two are responsible for most of the cancer risk, HPV 16 and HPV 18, including cervical, anogenital and oropharyngeal cancers (Saraiya,2013).  Information on HPV-associated cancers can be found here: http://www.cancer.org/ and on oropharyngeal cancer here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/16/11/10-0452_article.htm.  

It is laudable that Douglas would disclose this, particularly given the stigma related to STD’s.  He raises awareness of the risk of this STD to individuals (like middle aged and older adults) who may not consider themselves at risk from exposure to HPV decades earlier.  Unfortunately little can be done to detect this form of cancer early.  Here is a useful guide from the American Cancer Society related to oropharyngeal cancer: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/oralcavityandoropharyngealcancer/detailedguide/index

Michael Douglas at the Vanity Fair party for the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival; by David Shankbone, 4/17/2012. (Use of this photograph does not imply endorsement of the author or the ideas shared)   Image from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Michael_Douglas_VF_2012_Shankbone.JPG

Douglas’ acknowledgement of the possibility of his cancer being linked to sexual activity and HPV transmission has naturally raised the question of what should be done about this risk? Men are at much higher risk of developing oropharyngeal cancer from HPV than women.  Should we screen all men for HPV like women are screened with pap smears to reduce cervical cancer risk?  Unfortunately there are difficulties to screening for this type of cancer.  Here is a video by the New York Times discussing some of these concerns: http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/06/10/health/100000002273386/a-collective-gulp.html?smid=pl-share

While screening programs are common and they are usually viewed as only good – there are actually down-sides to screening – for example what happens when it is very difficult to detect the presence of the HPV virus (HPV-16 or HPV-18) that leads to throat cancer?  What if attempting to detect the presence of a virus to prevent its eventual turn to cancer actually has dangers to the individual?  Particularly in a situation where the rate of cancer development from this virus is low?  For example, although nearly everyone who is sexually active will acquire HPV, most virus types are not cancerous – and cancers are rare even in those infected with high risk HPV types (HPV 16 and 18), requiring persistent infection (Saraiya, 2013).  There were an average of approximately 32,000 new HPV-associated cancers identified between 2005 and 2009 in the US, of which 20,000 were identified in women (89% genital cancers), while 12,000 were identified in men (78% were oropharyngeal ) (Saraiya, 2013).

Similar to other screening programs, we should be judicious in use of societal resources to identify disease – it is difficult to weigh the risks and benefits of screening because not all diseases are simple to detect, and often our methods of detection are less than perfect – leading to many individuals who test positive for a disease by a not-so-good screening method to initially believe they have cancer only to find out later it was a false-positive result.  This of course is true in mammography where women often have lumps that require follow up ultrasound or biopsy – which then pushes the woman into a limbo of fear of actually having breast cancer – only to find out later it was an innocuous lump.  Depending on the type of lump found, some women undergo lengthy periods of heightened screening– leading to anxiety and greater exposure to ionizing radiation – however this screening is of great benefit when the risk of disease is high. 

While early identification and treatment of disease are important goals for our health care system, the actual ability of providers and detection methods to deliver this result is often limited by the lack of research and technology to accurately detect the disease.   In the case of HPV there are immunizations that prevent infection, however evidence is not yet available that these vaccines are effective in those who are already infected – this is one reason why the immunization focus is on youth who are not yet sexually active- it is hoped that most infections with HPV 16 will be prevented in the future, thus eliminating risk of cancer from this infection.  With continued research we will accumulate efficacy data from immunization.  Hopefully someday we will also better understand how to prevent cancer in those with acquired HPV infection  and also have better methods for early identification of the infection before the cancer occurs.

References & Links used to prepare this summary:
Saraiya, M. (2013). Public health importance of human papillomavirus infection and disease. CDC: Division of Cancer Prevention and Control. Accessed on 6/11/2013: http://www.cdc.gov/about/grand-rounds/archives/2013/pdfs/GR_HPV_Feb19.pdf






5 comments:

  1. It looks like there has been some controversy over what Michael Douglas actually said caused his cancer.
    It makes you wonder if the stigma of having an STD and its implications regarding how you got it (or who you got it from) were less than desirable for Douglas and his wife, ex-wife or others who might be viewed negatively due to the stigma of STD's.

    Here is what the CDC & P says on its website about prevalence of HPV:
    "Who is at risk for HPV? Anyone who is having (or has ever had) sex can get HPV. HPV is so common that nearly all sexually-active men and women get it at some point in their lives. This is true even for people who only have sex with one person in their lifetime." Accessed on 6/12/2013 at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

    Seems to me Douglas and his significant others have plenty of company and have nothing to be ashamed of. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an informative blog by which I have got that info which I really wanted to get.
    genital warts treatment

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i recieved through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email--- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have herbal cure for COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITICS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, COUGH, ULCER, ARTHRITIS, LEUKEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless Dr. ITUA for his marvelous work in my life, I was
    diagnosed of HERPES since 2013 and I was taking my
    medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out
    of my system, I searched about some possible cure for
    HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. ITUA how he cured
    HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he
    guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my
    health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I
    took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i
    was cured from HERPES, Dr. ITUA truly you are great, do
    you need his help also? Why don't you contact him
    through:email:drituaodigie@gmail.com or you can also
    WhatsApp me on +2349078751746

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everybody, I just want to give this great testimony to the whole public about a great man who help me out in a serious illness. I have HSV-1 AND HSV-2 DISEASE for good 2 years now and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the illness. All I have in my mind is, let me just give up because life is not interesting for me any longer and i also pray that God should accept my soul when ever I’m gone luckily for me, my kid sister run to me that she found a doctor in the INTERNET who can cure HSV-1 AND HSV-2 DISEASE. She helped me out in everything, the man asked for my details so he can prepare a herbal medicine for me. After he was done consulting on my details he told me how my medicine will be prepare, after he was done preparing my medicine he sent me my medication and after using it for 7 days i later started noticing something different in my blood so I went for my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 DISEASE test and I was tested Negative, I’m so happy that I can say I’m not patient of HSV-1 AND HSV-2 anymore. If you have HSV-1 AND HSV-2 or any sickness,HIV/AID,HPV,CANCER,HEPATITS B DIABETITS ALS,PENIS ENLARGEMNT please for your safety, contact DR.HAZIM VIA email address (usmandrhazim@gmail.com) or whats APP number+2349058026857

    ReplyDelete